Now selling Bayer Dip!
Ever heard of the Bayer dip for corals? It's a reef-keeping hack that's been around for long enough to prove it's worth it. Bayer is highly effective against Red Bugs and Acro Eating Flatworms (AEFWs) as well as most pest Nudibranchs. While it's not technically advertised for corals, it's been used by hobbyists for many years effectively (check out this Reef2Reef thread
). We use it in the store on all our SPS corals and most of our frags in addition to Revive.
Here's our recipe for pest control success:
1. Have 2 separate containers of your tank water ready to go
2. Add 4oz Bayer to 1 gallon tank water in container and submerge coral
3. Use turkey baster or small powerhead to blast coral, especially edges and bottom and a toothbrush to clean rock or dead skeleton *Remember to wear dish gloves and safety glasses, this is a pesticide so it can leach into your skin*
4. Continue with coral submerged for 3-6 minutes (do no exceed 10)
5. Place coral in second container of tank water that does not contain Bayer and repeat step 3 until coral appears clean
Did you know eggs of pest worms and nudibranchs can live for weeks without a host and will survive through any chemical dip? This is why it's important to clean non-living surfaces of corals and quarantine whenever possible!